Women's basketball photo

Cal State Fullerton women's basketball huddles prior to tip-off against Southern Utah on Nov. 9 at Titan Gym. (Kassandra Vasquez / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball team suffered its first loss of the season on Saturday against the Utah State University Aggies, 75-85, in their first away game this season.

After the Titans won their season-opener at home with an impressive come-from-behind victory versus the Southern Utah University Thunderbirds, the roles were reversed in Fullerton’s favor this time.

The Titans started off strong in the first half, and they never once relinquished their lead.

CSUF’s Carolyn Gill scored the first point of the game 49 seconds into the first quarter after stealing the ball from Utah State’s Manna Mensah and then shot a clean jumper. Gill scored a layup 20 seconds later, which was assisted by freshman guard Lily Wahinekapu.

The Titans dominated the Aggies within the first eight minutes of the first quarter, as they reached a score of 20-6. The Aggies almost caught up as they scored 11 points in the remaining minutes, but the Titans kept the lead by the end of the quarter, 23-17.

The second quarter was a back-and-forth stalemate, with both teams at 15 points. At the 6 minute, 38 second mark in the quarter, the Titans went on a 7-0 run with center Ashlee Lewis and Kathryn Neff each scoring a lay up. Neff, then, scored a three-pointer and Wahinjapu added two points to the scoreboard with a jumper.

However, the Aggies struck back with a 6-0 run, and moved the score to 34-32. Before the Aggies could tie for the first time in the game, Titans senior guard Clarissa Rodarte scored a lay-up. Junior guard Fujika Nimmo finished the half with a jumper. 

Even though both teams scored the same amount of points in the second quarter, Fullerton’s lead from the first quarter kept them up 38-32 in the first half. But it all went downhill for Fullerton in the second half.

Aggies scored first with a three-pointer by Mensah after she was fouled by Lewis, cutting the Titan’s lead to  38-35.

Then, Neff fouled Kaylin Randhawa, who then scored three-straight free throws, tying the game 38-38. This all happened in the first minute of the third quarter.

At 8 minutes, 50 seconds in the quarter, Nimmo fouled Olivia Wikstrom. Wikstrom’s one free-throw score put the Aggies in the lead, 38-39

The Titans took the lead three times in the third quarter, with a seven-point streak that put the Titans at 52-48.  

The Aggies came back to tie, 54-54, with roughly three minutes left in the quarter after Wahinekapu fouled guard Randhawa, who then scored one free-throw. Utah broke the tie when E’lease Srafford made a jump-shot, and put the score at 54-56.

The Aggies kept the lead throughout the rest of the third quarter, and ended it with a score of 59-63.

The fourth quarter was worse as the Titans could not get one tied score.

Nimmo led the Titans in scoring with 17 points and five assists, while Wahinekapu scored 13 points and eight assists.

Randhawa led the Aggies with 28 points and one assist.

This loss puts Fullerton at 1-1 overall and 0-0 in the Big West. CSUF will remain 0-0 in the conference until they host Cal State Bakersfield on Dec. 30 at 7 p.m. at Titan Gym. Until then, the Titans will host San Diego State on Nov. 16 at 5 p.m.