Brittany Shin

Brittany Shin has been CSUF's number one golfer this season. (CSUF Athletics)

In their potential final tournament, Cal State Fullerton women’s golf looks to finish their season out strong in the Big West women’s golf championship starting on Monday.

The three-day tournament will host nine teams from the Big West at the Yorba Linda Country Club. Due to current COVID-19 guidelines, spectators will not be granted entrance inside the country club.

The Titans have struggled this season placing high as a team, only finishing in the top half of their tournaments just once this season back in February at the Valley Invitational, in which they placed third.

Despite the team struggles, sophomore Brittany Shin has come into her own this season, and has yet to finish outside the top-20 individually in any invitational this year. Shin has also claimed two 1st place finishes this season, with her most recent victory being the Wyoming Cowgirl Classic earlier this month.

After her most recent win, Shin was named the Big West women’s golfer of the month for the second time this season earning golfer of the month honors for the third time in her collegiate career.

This year has been rather unusual for the Big West, with all nine teams subjected to shorter seasons than years prior due to COVID-19. Not one team has competed in more than six tournaments this season, while teams like Cal State Northridge and UC Davis have only competed in three and four, respectively.

While Fullerton has struggled to place high throughout the season, only three teams in the Big West in Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, UC Davis and Hawaii have managed to secure top three finishes in an event this season. 

Cal Poly SLO has finished in the top three in three out of six events this season. While the team has been rather inconsistent, and failed to finish in the top eight in three consecutive events. They finished in third place at the Fresno Classic last week, led by redshirt sophomore Vanessa Wang, who finished in 5th individually and secured the No.1 seed heading into the Big West championship.

Even though UC Davis finished in last place in their second tournament of the year, the Aggies have been consistently near the top ever since, winning the Anuenue Spring Break Invitational in March and finished 6th in the Fresno Classic. 

After a disappointing 11th place finish to start the season, Hawaii has been the most consistent team in the Big West conference. The Rainbow Wahine have finished near the top at every event they have competed in, winning the Pearl Collegiate Classic in February and finished in 3rd and 2nd place in their following events. Their lowest finish since their first event was 7th place at the Wyoming Cowgirl Classic, which still landed them in the top half of the event.

While there is plenty of uncertainty for most teams heading into the Big West championship, it will be interesting to see which team shows up to win it all and claim bragging rights in the Big West. Long Beach State currently lays claims to the Big West title, having won the honors in back-to-back years in 2018 and 2019.

The tournament is set to begin on Monday with Cal Poly SLO, UC Davis and Hawaii starting at 7:30 a.m. followed by Long Beach State, UCI and Fullerton at 8:20 a.m. and UC Riverside, Cal State Bakersfield and Cal State Northridge starting at 9:10 a.m.

Asst. Sports Editor F20 & S21