Women's golf photo

Haruka Koda, pictured here at the Big West championship in May, scored 8-over-par 80 on Oct. 25 at the Rainbow Wahine Invitational in Kapolei, Hawaii. (CSUF Athletics)

Cal State Fullerton women’s golf finished the first round of competition at the Rainbow Wahine Invitational in fifth place on Oct. 25.

Fullerton finished day one at 14-over-par 302 and just four strokes out of a top three position on the leaderboard after the first round on the Kapolei Golf Course in Kapolei, Hawaii.

Baylor University created a sizable lead, finishing at 4-under-par 284 and in first place at the end of day one of the invitational. Sophomore Britta Snyder led Baylor with an individual first place finish for the first round at 3-under-par 69 for the course.

Not far behind Snyder was Fullerton’s Elina Saksa who finished day one in second place at 2-under-par 70, which was the best score for the Titans. Saksa finished day one with four birdies and two bogeys, scoring par for the remainder of the course.

Lisa Djerf had a consistent showing, finishing the first round only 4-over-par 76 and in a three way tie for 20th place. Djerf ended both the front and back nine holes 2-over-par 38 each.

Linley Ooi struggled to gain control of the course during the front nine where she had two bogeys, a double-bogey and a triple-bogey, but managed to come back two birdies and score par on the back nine. Ooi ended day one in a four way tie for 23rd place at 5-over-par 77.

Kayla Sam finished the first round 7-over-par 79, with a better performance in the back nine than the front nine. During the front nine she had five bogeys and followed that up with two birdies, two bogeys and one double bogey on the back nine. Sam is currently standing in a four way tie for 31st place.

Rounding out the Titans was Haruka Koda, who finished day one of the invitational at 8-over-par 80 and tied with eight other players for 35th place. Much like the rest of her teammates, Koda had a better showing in the back nine at 3-over-par 39.

Fullerton currently leads the University of Tampa, who sits in sixth place, by just five strokes. The Titans will have their sights set on the top of the leaderboard during the next two days of competition at the Rainbow Wahine Invitational in Kapolei, Hawaii.