Haruka Koda

Fullerton's Haruka Koda is tied in seventh place with an even par 72 after round one at the Big West Championships in Yorba Linda. (John Fajardo)

On Monday, by the end of the first round at Yorba Linda Country Club, Cal State Fullerton women’s golf found themselves ending day one tied for sixth place in the Big West Championships. 

As a team, the Titans had a score of 13-over-par 301, 19 strokes behind UC Irvine, the leader of the tournament, who had a team score of 6-under-par 282. Cal Poly San Luis Obispo followed in second place with a score of 4-under-par 284. 

Their next closest opponent, Long Beach State sits in third and trails by seven strokes at 3-over-par 291.

UCI’s Megan Yang led the individual leaderboard with a score of 7-under-par 65, five strokes ahead of a three-way tie for second place. 

Fullerton’s Brittany Shin and Haruka Koda performed well in the opening round, both tying for seventh individually while shooting an even par 72. 

Despite bogeying the first hole, both golfers did not let the shaky starts throw off their game. Shin picked up four birdies, putting up strong results on par-4 holes. 

Koda did not make too many mistakes, as the junior only bogeyed twice while also picking up two birdies. By the end of the morning, she had shot par on 14 holes. 

The remaining Titans finished toward the bottom of the individual leaderboard, but still remained in striking distance of improving their outlook due to the amount of ties in the tournament. 

Titans’ Kayla Hunn ended the first round tied for 34th place, shooting a score of 6-over-par 78. 

Titans’ Lisa Djerf followed behind her with a score of 7-over-par 79, tying for 37th place individually. She picked up a birdie on hole 14 to help improve her statline. 

Rounding out the Titans’ morning was Sara Camarena, who sits at 40th place individually with a score of 9-over-par 81.

Round two of the Big West Championships tee off tomorrow, April 20 at 7:30 a.m. PT. CSUF will begin their round at 8:20 a.m. against UC Davis and the University of Hawaii.

Managing Editor F20; Reporter & Sports Editor S21