Haruka Koda women's golf photo

Haruka Koda swings the club at the Big West championships last April. (CSUF Athletics)

Cal State Fullerton women’s golf teed off their 2021-22 season at the Jackrabbit Intercollegiate in Brookings, South Dakota on Monday, with five players who participated in the two-day event at the Brookings Country Club hosted by South Dakota State.

The first day of play consisted of two rounds with each team playing 36 holes.The Titans were in third place at 26 strokes over par in the second round before play was suspended due to darkness and rain.

After the first 18 holes, the Titans sat atop the team leaderboard at 11-over-par 299. 

Junior Elina Saksa led the individual leaderboard with a score of 3-under-par 69.

Seniors Haruka Koda and Lisa Djerf both finished with scores of 4-over-par 76 which placed them tied for ninth.

Sophomore Linley Ooi finished tied for 21st after she shot 6-over-par 78. Tied for 40th, freshman Kayla Sam finished at 9-over-par 81 to round out  Fullerton’s lineup in the opening round.

Saksa opened the front nine of the first round with an even par before the Finland native improved her performance on the back nine with three birdies.

On the front nine, Koda had one birdie and three bogeys. To finish the round, she had a birdie on hole 10, but added three bogeys.

Djerf had a birdie and a bogey each on the front nine to stay level before she added four bogeys on the back nine.

Ooi struggled on the front nine with one birdie and five bogeys before she added three bogeys on holes 10-13. Ooi finished the last five holes with a birdie and four pars.

Sam had seven bogeys and one double bogey in her first collegiate tournament.

The second round of play will resume Sept. 14 with the Titans set to begin at 6:30 a.m.