women's soccer preview photo

Haley Brown looks to dribble past a UCR defender at Titan Stadium Sept. 15. (Navtej Hundal / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer will hit the field again on Friday against Loyola Marymount University Lions.

After a dismal six-game losing streak, the Titans snagged their first win of the season on Sunday against the University of Northern Colorado, 2-1.

Fullerton carried the momentum into Wednesday’s game against UC Riverside in a 4-0 victory, marking the most goals scored in a game this season for CSUF.

The Lions are saddled with a eight-match losing streak, but if they beat CSUF, it will be their first victory of the season.

Their most recent match — a 3-0 loss against Stanford — last Sunday, was the latest of losses this season for the Lions.

Friday’s match will be the second of a four-match homestand for CSUF, after five games on the road.

“I think we have a really good system of play. We moved around some players that are thriving in new roles and we look to kind of build on that and keep that type of mentality going for us,” said head coach Demian Brown after Wednesday’s game.

CSUF and LMU share a common opponent in UCLA and they both lost their games to UCLA, 3-0.

The Titans have 11 goals under their belt heading into Friday’s game, while they have conceded fifteen against them throughout the season.

Midfielder Karla Rodriguez, Haley Brown, Maddie Kline and midfielder and forward Callie Petrey-Juarez have each scored two goals, while midfielder Nadia Amezcua, forward Jaden Hall and defender Meghan Schroh have scored one goal.

CSUF goalkeepers Noa Schumacher and DeAira Jackson have a combined 44 saves going into the weekend. Schumacher has recorded 26 this season, while Jackson has 18.

On Monday, the Big West named Jackson, a freshman, as the defensive player of the week, following her 11-save performance over the weekend.

The Lions have scored four goals over nine games, with 19 scored against them. Defenders Makiya Christensen and Sierra Dunphy and forwards Skylar Robledo and Sydney Schultz have scored one goal each.

If LMU manages a goal this Friday, it will be their first since Sept. 2, as they have not scored any goals in the past three matches.

Goalkeeper Kendyll Humphries, an LMU junior who transferred from University of Arizona, has racked up 31 saves over the season.

CSUF and LMU last played in 2019 — a game that ended in a 1-0 Titan victory. The Lions still hold more wins in the all-time with 10 wins compared to Titans’ nine, with one match in 1994 that ended in a draw.

Friday’s game will be Fullerton’s last match before heading into Big West conference play. They are scheduled for 10 conference games, kicking off with a Sept. 23 game against Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.

Though most of their pre-conference matches were away games, the conference lineup will split their time evenly between CSUF’s home turf and on the road.

Before conference play begins, CSUF and LMU will face off on Friday at 5 p.m. at Titan Stadium.