women's soccer vs CSUN preview photo

Noa Shumacher, seen here during CSUF's 3-0 win over UC Davis, was named the Big West defensive player of the week on Monday. (CSUF Athletics)

After narrowly defeating the seventh placed UC San Diego Tritons by a final score of 1-0 on Oct. 24, Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer is set to host the Cal State Northridge Matadors at Titan Stadium on Oct. 28 in hopes of extending their win streak to five matches in a row.

The Titans currently stand at 5-3 in the Big West conference with 15 points, which lands them at fifth place in the conference, and are in position to place themselves in a spot for postseason play with only two matches left in the season.

The Matadors, on the other hand, are coming off a blowout 1-6 loss to the third place UC Irvine Anteaters on Oct. 24. They currently sit at 2-6 in conference play, putting them in the ninth spot in conference standings with only six conference points in total.

Going into this match, CSUF is averaging 1.5 goals per game, 4.7 shots on goal per game and 5.2 saves per game while allowing their opponents to average 1.4 goals per game.

As for CSUN, the Matadors are averaging .944 goals per game, 4.4 shots on goal per game and 5.3 saves per game while permitting their opponents to score a conference-worst 2.9 goals per game.

Some notable Titan players to keep an eye on include senior midfielder and forward Callie Petrey-Juarez, freshman midfielder Karla Rodriguez and sophomore goalkeeper Noa Schumacher.

Petrey-Juarez has put up a team-leading eight goals for the Titans along with three game-winning goals, which have helped contribute to her 19 individual points for the season.

Rodriguez has scored five goals to go along with her 12 individual points.

Schumacher has completed a team-high 45 saves with a save percentage of .818. Schumacher was also named the Big West defensive player of the week on Monday after recording three straight shutouts, becoming the third Titan to earn the accolade this season.

Some notable Matador players include junior goalkeeper Amanda Delgado, senior midfielder Sydney Gilbert and junior defender Gabriela Robles.

Delgado has posted 53 saves so far and is allowing 2.6 goals per game, which has totaled up to 31 goals during this season.

Gilbert has contributed two goals, one assist and has totaled up five individual points for herself.

Robles has played in all but one game this season and has scored two goals to go along with four individual points.

As the season comes to a close, the Titans are in a great position to advance in the standings as the postseason approaches.

The fact that the Matadors have not proved to be a big threat to Big West teams all season and have struggled on both ends of the field, giving up a lot of goals to their opponents bodes well for Fullerton.

However, the Titans have to take the Matadors seriously in order to prevent any unnecessary loss that could end their postseason aspirations and their season early.

The match is set to start on Oct. 28 at 7 p.m. at Titan Stadium and will be the final home game of the season for the Titans.