Women's soccer vs UCSD

Women's soccer celebrate overtime win against University of Hawai'i on Oct.10. (Devyn Billingsley)

Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer kept their four match winning streak alive with a 1-0 win over the UC San Diego Tritons. The Titans gained three points which advanced them to the top five of the Big West Conference standings with their sights set on the 2021 Big West Women’s Soccer Championship, Nov. 4-7.

The lone goal was scored in the final minute of the first half by Emelia Owen when she tried to cross a ball to Katelin Bebe in the front of the net from inside the box. The ball deflected off of Tritons’ midfielder Ava D’Arcangelo and went right by keeper Keara Fitzgerald.

The Titans started the game strong by putting a lot of offensive pressure on the Tritons for the first fifteen minutes, only giving the Tritons an opportunity to score in the 17th minute of play.

It was in the 17th minute that Titans’ goalkeeper Noa Shumacher was put to the test with a ball that almost slipped by her but she was able to grab the ball in midair before it went in the net.

Shumacher made a total of six saves in the first half while her opposition in the other net only made two.

In the closing minutes of the match, the Titans took another corner kick, where the ball went into the box only to be immediately touched by Triton defenders who cleared it out. Titans took the ball back and were unable to make anything of it as Tritons defenders did their job spectacularly and took away any chance that the Titans had of scoring a goal.

The Titans defense is what kept them in the game in the first half until the 45 minute goal. The Tritons had a total of nine shots in the first half along with five corner kicks while the Titans only had five shots and three corners.

The second half of the play ended scoreless but not due to a lack of chances. About midway through the second, Titans’ Callie Petrey-Juarez took the ball past defenders but was unable to get good footing on the shot. The shot ended up being blocked by a defender who stopped the ball near the goal line to deny the Titans a second goal.

The Titans blew another big chance a few minutes later when Petrey-Juarez crossed the ball to Bebe inside the box but she was unable to convert and the chance to score a second goal slipped away from the Titans.

The Titans then used the remainder of gametime to eat the clock, trying to maintain possession in order to secure the win.

Fullerton has two matches left this season to earn points in the race for a top four spot in the conference

CSUF is still eligible for postseason play and their next match will be against a very familiar opponent.

The Titans will play their final home match of the season on Oct. 28 at Titan Stadium against Cal State Northridge at 7 p.m.

An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that the Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer team moved into the top four of the Big West and they were winless in away matches. The article also stated the team was eliminated from postseason play and their next game was against UC Irvine on Oct. 28. The team moved to the fifth spot and has won four of their 10 away matches. CSUF can still make the Big West Tournament and their next match will be at home against Cal State Northridge on Oct. 28.

Multimedia Asst. F20; Reporter & Multimedia Editor S21